Tuesday, January 20, 2009

We Made It!


For those of you wondering if we made it to the Netherlands OK, we did!  We arrived around noon local time on Sunday.  It was rainy and cold and we had a hard time finding our taxi driver, then once we did, we had to walk in the rain to the van and the suitcase that was holding the carseat (and Avery) fell over.  Avery was fine, not even a peep, but it still freaked me out.  Of course, all Kaeli was worried about was "My Stuff" that I had dropped from my other hand to get Avery.  We'll work on that!  Kaeli was a trooper.  She pushed the stoller full of suitcases half way through the airport!!  The flight wasn't horrible.  The girls slept about as much as could be expected.  Avery threw up about 5 minutes before pushing off from the gate, so Bryan and I frantically cleaned the car seat and Avery and changed her clothes so that we would not be responsible for delaying the flight.  Of course, the flight was delayed on the runway anyway, but at least it wasn't our fault!!

Kaeli and Avery started their new school yesterday.  They only went for a couple of hours.  They are there for about 6 hours today and tomorrow and then full days on Thurs and Fri.  It is a Dutch-speaking day care and Kaeli seems to be doing OK so far.  I think the bread with chocolate spread and sprinkles for lunch yesterday may have helped a little!  Avery had no problems, she even took an hour nap while she was there.  

We're still in the hotel, but will hopefully be in a temporary apartment starting Wed or Thurs (move #4 of 5!).  Then we can start looking for a "permanent" place.  No, Misty, it's not really going to be permanent!  I'll post more pictures soon, especially of Kaeli's dance recital the day before we left the US, but these are some that we took in the hotel on Sunday.  Kaeli is becoming quite the photographer, so you may end up seeing several without her in them!  I will try to keep up with additional pictures of her.

I'm off to check e-mail for work.  Lots to do and noone over here wants to call my US mobile phone!!













6 comments:

  1. We're so glad that you all made it there safely (maybe not comfortably but safely). We miss you already. Matthew is still waiting for Kaeli to come back to school and hasn't quite grasped that concept. Shay told him that he can come to her house this weekend because Kaeli will be there. So I feel better that he is not the only one. I hope that Avery is feeling better now. Keep us posted on everything.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you posted today! Glad to hear it went well, and see those sweet faces we already miss! You were mentioned a lot in NewGround on Sunday, and I held back the tears, almost!! :) Merited favor was in y'alls honor....chemistry! ha. I'm so happy the girls slept, and hope you are adjusting to the time change well. Can't wait to see pics of your apartment, the streets, EVERYHING :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I MISS Y'ALL! Tomorrow will be our first small group with out you guys and I am going to miss Bryan add his two cents to everything. I thought about y'all a lot on Saturday and thought about you on Sunday (thinking about y'all far away). Bob and I are really consider coming over there maybe next summer (2010). I miss you guys! Give everyone a hug for me. Oh yea... I am glad you had a good flight ;). Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BRYAN AGAIN!!! This is my second try. Hope you get this. Kees, from Holland, has a blog http://keesabbring.spaces.live.com
    with lots of pictures of Holland and Texas.He is married to Elizabett. You met them here at my house. Love you, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about you guys lately! So glad you made it safely and are transitioning well. All our best! The Lyons :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CELESTA. Wish I could give you a hug. May God bless you and keep you. Hope Avery is better. Love, Gr. Grand

    ReplyDelete