Saturday, February 7, 2009

Green or just cheap?

Yes, this is my 2nd post in one night.  I've had this post in my head for two weeks and I thought I would try to write it before I forget.  (I have others, so hopefully I can remember them and write them later, but most of those need pictures as proof.  Kinda like Luis's need for photo proof of the sheep and other animals at Hwy 6!)

So, I can't decide if the Dutch can really claim to be saving the planet by being "green".  I think many of the "green" things that they do really are because they are so cheap (as we are told, their frugality is only rivaled by the Scots, and of course Misty!).  For example, I think they recycle so that they don't have to buy as many trash bags.  They don't drive cars because they're too cheap to pay for parking and gas (which is very expensive and taxed at 19%).  They turn off their lights and other electrical devices to save on the electric bill, not to save the planet. 

I guess in the end it really doesn't matter what the motive is, they are still more green than Americans and they are saving the planet.  Maybe we should change the marketing strategy in the US.  Instead of "Be Green.  Save the planet." we should promote "Be Green. Save your money!"  In today's economic climate, I think it would be a great time to start this new campaign.  Misty, you can use this as yet another reason for justifying your spending (or lack thereof) habits.

In my next post (assuming I find time to take the pictures), strange things that the Dutch do that you would never see or do in America!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you haven't forgot me yet, and my crazy saving money self ;)

    ReplyDelete